The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has released their annual Union Members Survey for 2015 and South Dakota’s union membership continues to be among the lowest in the nation at 5.9 percent.
- South Dakota’s union membership rate increased one whole point over 2014’s rate.
- This increase is due mostly to a significant rise in public sector union membership.
- South Dakota has the 14th lowest union membership rate in the nation.
- The union membership rate among the public sector increased from 16.0% to 22.8%, ranking 20th.
- The union membership rate among the private sector increased slightly from 2.5% to 2.6%, ranking 5th.
- The construction industry has a 6.4% union membership rate.
- The manufacturing industry has a 5.0% union membership rate.
- Nationally, the union membership rate remained unchanged at 11.1 percent.
States with lower union membership rates than South Dakota are predominantly concentrated in the south.
- Learn more about the BLS union membership statistics here.
- Learn more about union membership rates among the various industry sectors here.