The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has released their annual Union Members Summary for 2014 and South Dakota’s union membership continues to be among the lowest in the nation at 4.9 percent.
- South Dakota’s union membership rate is up slightly from 2013, by 0.1 percent.
- South Dakota maintains its position as having the 8th lowest union membership rate in the nation.
- The union membership rate among the public sector increased to 16.0%, ranking 12th.
- The union membership rate among the private sector decreased to 2.5%, ranking 4th.
- The construction industry has a 4.2% union membership rate.
- The manufacturing industry has a 7.0% union membership rate.
- Nationally, the union membership rate decreased slightly to 11.1 percent.
If we look at the past 10 years, union membership in South Dakota and the nation have steadily declined.
States with lower union membership rates than South Dakota are predominantly concentrated in the south.
- Learn more about the BLS union membership statistics here.
- Learn more about union membership rates among the various industry sectors here.